Breakout Box for March

I wanted to do something fun and challenging with my students so I purchased 4 toolboxes with various types of locks to make my own breakout boxes.  It was a little expensive so I suggest getting some teachers to split the cost with you.  I highly recommend doing this type of activity with your students.   My students were so excited and engaged in the activity!  

I used the welcome letter from Breakout Edu. You can read more about breakout boxes here.  It is free to sign up at Breakout Edu and they have many free breakout games for various age groups.  



Here is the timer you can use for your breakout.

              

Here is a breakout video to tell you all about them.  I changed the tasks for my classroom that I explained below.

             

The first task my students had to complete was to sort the adjectives by texture, size, color, and shape.  They counted the number in each category and that was the number to unlock the first lock.   I purchased the shamrocks and wrote adjectives on them.  I did not want to spend the time cutting and laminating shamrocks.   This number was for the 4-digit combination lock.  Click here for the adjective sort recording sheet.  


The next lock was a directional lock.  They had to complete the maze to get the code for the directional lock.  I had previously explained to them how to clear the lock in case they didn't get it open on the first attempt.  One group could not get this lock unlocked.  I finally had to have someone from another team help them.   Click here for the maze.


The next task was to find all the words in the St. Patrick's Day word search.  Once they completed the word search, I gave them a black light flashlight to find the word that I had highlighted with an invisible ink pen.  They used the flashlight to discover the word MONEY which was the code to unlock the next lock.  Click here for your FREE copy of the word search.



The last lock had a key hidden in the classroom.  They had to solve the mystery code so they would know where to look to find the hidden key.  I hid the key in a different hiding place for each group.  Click here for the alphabet.
They found chocolate gold coins hidden in the box.  If you can't find gold coins, you can use any type of candy that has a gold wrapper.  My students are excited to do this activity again next month.  

Join the Facebook Breakout EDU for elementary teachers for additional help and ideas.

Below is an affliate link for the items that I purchased from Amazon.
Wordlock PL-004-BK 5-Dial Combination Padlock,

 Black Master Lock 1500iD Speed Dial Combination Lock, Assorted Colors Master Lock 120Q 

Solid Brass Body Padlock, 3/4-Inch Wide Body, 5/32-Inch Shackle Diameter, 4-Pack Findway 5 UV 

Ultra Violet Blacklight 9 LED Flashlight Torch Light Outdoors Novelty Place [Spy Pen] Invisible 

Ink Pen with Built-in UV Light - Magic Marker For Drawing, Secret Message Writing, Currency 

Checking, Security Marking (Pack of 4) Master Lock 421 Lockout Hasp with Vinyl Coated Handle, 

1-1/2" Inside Jaw Diameter HT®The Ultimate 4 Digit Combination Padlock Set - Set Your Own(Not TSA Approved Lock) (Blue)

 Stanley 016011R Series 2000 16-Inch Tool Box

2 comments: