Word Problems for Second Grade

My class has working on word problems for the last few weeks.  They are getting really good at solving word problems.  I am so proud of them!  They know what key words to look for and the steps in solving them.  I teach them CUBES. I do lots of modeling and then we do guided practice with our white boards.  Before I let them do their independent work, I check for understanding.  Our district is really big on all of these components of a lesson---not to mention the objective and the big concept. 
 
                                   C  -Circle the question
                                   U - Underline important information
                                   B - Block out information
                                   E - Write the equation
                                   S - Solve.

 
 

Click on the addition and subtraction word problems for your free copy.  In the subtraction worksheet I put in extra information to make it more difficult.  Click on the freebie friday picture below for more great freebies!
 
Freebie Fridays

Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

2 comments:

  1. The CUBES idea is a clever way to make sure they stay on track to do things in the correct order. I really like that idea, thanks for sharing!
    Christina Aronen @ http://seabear'skindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the best ideas and worksheets! Thank you

    ReplyDelete